Emotional and Cognitive Problems
- Is your child is terrified of separation with you? Does she/he follows you around the house constantly, and always must know where you are?
- Does your child worry about everything – school performance, things she/he hears on the news, and even family finances?
- Is your child completely preoccupied with what other think of him/her? He/she does not interact at school, feel like they are not enough to have good friends and feel isolated?
- Does your child or teen appear sad, withdrawn, cry a lot, appear irritable, and express feeling worthlessness or self-hatred? Does your child or teen have difficulty concentration, lack motivation or have no interest in doing things they used to enjoy?
- Does your child experiencing eating problem and sleep problems, such as difficulty falling asleep, staying asleep, or sleep excessively?
- Does your child/teen appear irritable, argumentative, have sudden mood swings, exhibit excessive need for control, becomes extremely upset and throw tantrums if things don’t happen the way they expect?
If you answered YES to any of those questions, you are an attentive parent and have noticed that your child/teen has been suffering. Most likely you have been doing whatever it takes to help your child to lighten up but nothing seems to have worked. You have started wondering if there is something that you have been doing wrong. You have begun noticing that parenthood does not bring you much joy anymore. You have been feeling lost, frustrated, or even guilty for not being able to ensure that your child thrives. These kinds of feelings cause you even more distress and negatively affect other areas of your life.
If you answered YES, it is possible that your child/teen might be suffering from an anxiety, mood, or attachment disorder. It’s imperative to recognize the symptoms and seek professional help as soon as possible. Those are serious problems and cannot be taken lightly!
As a Play Therapist, I understand underlying reasons of your child’s worries and fears. I can teach them skills to cope with anxiety, fears, depression, and will help them gain control over their emotions. I can help your child to gain better awareness of their strength, adjust their thinking pattern, and ultimately increase their self-esteem. I will facilitate a change that will help you to lift that heaviness you all have been feeling. I will give you the tools that will help you create a closer bond between you and will bring stability and joy in your relationship.